10 mental blocks keeping you from being a kick-ass sysadmin
Ok, it’s actually an article about 10 Mental Blocks to Creative Thinking but isn’t creative thinking a huge part of being a kick-ass sysadmin? Here’s what I thought of when I read each point, but I highly recommend that you read the whole article and look for ways it applies to you.
In terms of what mindset you should be in:
- There is almost always more than one right answer.
- Don’t be so rigid with your logic that you become blind to other possibilities.
- Always question everything – “why” or “why not”.
- Always ask “what if” and explore ideas even if they don’t seem feasible on the surface.
- Make time to play. You’ll be amazed at what problems you solve when you’re not at your desk.
- Never say “That’s not part of my job” and explore and learn about as much as you can.
- Try to think about things differently than everyone else at the table is.
- There is no black and white, only gray, and that’s ok.
- It’s ok to be wrong and you will be. It’s ok to make mistakes and you will. Learn from it.
- If you think you can’t do it, then you can’t. You won’t really know unless you try.